Where Do I Send My Income Federal Tax Extension?


3 Answers

jerome penn Profile
jerome penn answered
You will need to send these forms directly to the IRS. The correct address to send your extension form to is dependent on which part of the United  States you reside in. On the official IRS website ( there is a link that details each IRS department "addresses by state for forms 1040, 1040A, 1040EZ, 1040ES, 1040V, amended returns, and extensions" which applies to you. This is the link: You will need to visit to determine where exactly to mail your forms to:,,id=105693,00.html. If you are unable to mail the extension form, you have the option of e-filing through tax software. Here is what is stated; "You can refer to your tax software or tax professional for ways to file electronically using e-file services."  The benefit of this is that, according to the IRS site, several companies offer free filing of Form 4868 through the Free File program. Therefore, if you use this method you are likely to save time and any additional costs incurred. Furthermore, it is stated on the IRS website that electronically filed tax returns are accepted until October 15th so you may buy yourself some further time. All of this can be accessed on the IRS official website - address mentioned above. Or, if you have limited access to the internet you can call the IRS directly and be advised on how to proceed. You may telephone 1-800-829-1040 between the hours of 7am to 10pm, Monday to Friday, your local time. Alternatively, you can contact your local office via phone. Use this link to establish what number to call and you can be advised further Finally, if all of this fails, you could even visit your local office to hand in your form yourself.

Answer Question