Can I Claim My 27 Year Old Dependent Who Is Not Working On My Taxes?


2 Answers

Jack Bauer Profile
Jack Bauer answered
To claim a person as a dependent, they have several rules and tests to pass. The first is they have to be a U.S. Citizen, or resident alien. They cannot be claimed as a dependent on another return. They also have to be a "Qualifying Child, or Relative".  Based on his age, I went to "Qualifying Relative", and there are 4 tests to pass. The tests are:  1) Not a 'Qualifying Child' (over 24 years old)  2) Relationship test (He is your son)  3) Gross income test (He must make less than $3,400 in Gross Income)  4) Support test (You, as the taxpayer, must have paid for more than 50% of his support)  If you meet these tests, you can claim your Son as a Dependent on line 6c of the 1040a, or 1040 long form.  (IRS pub 17, chapter 3, table 3-1)
Anonymous Profile
Anonymous answered
What Jack means is, if he qualifies, you can claim your son as a dependent, weather he is working on your taxes or not.

Answer Question