I Am On Short-term Disability, Can I Receive Unemployment Benefits?


12 Answers

Hannah Barton Profile
Hannah Barton answered
If you are on short term disability you cannot claim unemployment benefits. You can claim one or the other but you cannot claim them both at the same time. The reason for this is because to claim unemployment benefits, you must be seeking a job - therefore you must be fit and healthy and able to accept a job if one were offered to you. To claim short term disability, a licensed medical professional must deem you disabled and unfit to work, therefore you cannot seek a job if you are not fit enough to work. Short term disability is a type of insurance that pays a percentage of an employee’s salary for a specified amount of time if they are ill or injured and cannot perform the duties of their job. Coverage usually starts anywhere from one to 14 days after an employee suffers a condition that leaves them unable to work. It can last anywhere between 10 to 26 weeks and is usually 50-70% of their salary. If the disability is likely to leave them unable to work for longer than 26 weeks then Long Term Disability can be claimed. Many more employers offer a long term disability program funded through a third party administrator such as a disability insurer. If you are out of work for more than a year due to a disability, you can claim Permanent Disability Allowance. If you are unemployed due to a disability that was the result of an accident in work and your employer can be held responsible, then it is likely that your employer and their insurance company will have to pay for you. Disability allowances usually pay more than unemployment benefits, but they differ from state to state and with different insurance companies. With disability allowances you do need an end date and the date you will return to work.
Kim Curtis Profile
Kim Curtis answered
9 times out of 10... No, you cannot get unemployment while on short term disability. Usually unemployment requires you to be employable and prove you are looking for a job. If you are on short term disability, technically you are not unemployed, but on some sort of medical leave.
Anonymous Profile
Anonymous answered
Can you file unemployment for medical leave from your job
Anonymous Profile
Anonymous answered
I have been off work 5 weeks with back operation. I fell at work and now can't get released until july 09 to return to work. That means 3 mos off . Can I draw unemployment?
Deemarcas Day Profile
Deemarcas Day answered
No, you must be able to work and actively seeking employment to get benefits, and you must have been let go of your former job for reason beyond your control, and illness doesn't count.
Susan Rothman Profile
Susan Rothman answered
In some states there are disability programs made for such a situation that is instead of Unemployment when unable to work due to a disability. Check if something is available in your area. Usually Unemployment is predicated on the health sufficient to take work.
linda Profile
linda answered
I also am on short term disability and I did talk to someone at the unemployment office.  They told me NO.  I am from the state of Penna.  Hope that helps
Amber Adams Profile
Amber Adams answered
I think the best thing to do is ask both the unemployment office in your area and the place that is paying you disability. It's best to get the answers straight from the sources.
Anonymous Profile
Anonymous answered
No you have to wait but you go to your long once your shot is over 3mos,hope this helps
Anonymous Profile
Anonymous answered
In SC one has to be able, available, and looking weekly for work to be able to draw any unemployment benefits. If you are medically unable to work this would eliminate one from drawing unemployment benefits.
Anonymous Profile
Anonymous answered
If you are on medical leave of absence, you can draw either short or long term disability from your place of employment if you have that type insurance at your workplace. If you do, see your supervisor for a claim form   for med. Leave of absence. Don't think you can draw unemployment for this type situation, only disability benefits. Your physician can fill out information on the sick leave claim form from work, then send it to the proper health insurance company.

Answer Question