When people talk about German sociologist Max Weber, we are usually looking at 6 positive aspects that his philosophy and approach to bureaucracy entails:
- Formal and recognized structure.
- Governance by regulations
- Optimally functioning organizations created as a result
- A united objective and mission.
- Neutrality and impartialness.
- Reward and employment based upon merit and qualifications.
Although his approach sounds rather cold, it can be effective.
That is not to say that there isn't a counter argument to Max Webers approach.
In fact if you look at most of the successful technology companies thriving in Silicon Valley, many of them have a much less rigid approach to management philosophy.
If you're interested in learning about the counter argument to Max Weber's ideals, then have a look at this related page: