There are problems that can occur when aiding literacy and numeracy activities but it depends on a number of factors.
- One of the main factors that you must consider when supporting others in any form of literacy and numeracy work is how able they are. This is particularly important in group activities because it is likely that everyone is going to be at different stages in terms of their ability to understand what is being asked of them. In this case, it would be best to split the group into sub groups in terms of ability.
- However, there is a problem that the students may feel segregated or less important so if you are resigned to helping one large group make sure you assist someone who needs extra help. In terms of one-on-one support, you need to ensure that they feel comfortable with the activity and that it matches their ability.
- In most cases if group work is being carried out then the individuals involved will be of a similar age. However, you need to think about how you treat these individuals according to their age.
- The majority of basic numeracy and literacy activities will be aimed at young children; however there are certain classes that cater for adults who missed out on this form of education at a younger age. In this case it is important that these adults are not patronized in any way because it will damage their confidence and make them feel unable to do it.
- It may be difficult to get young children to focus during these activities. Try and remain calm around them and emphasize the fact that it is a fun activity rather than a learning exercise.