I Take Care Of My Disabled Husband, Can I Get Paid From SS For This?


4 Answers

Rebekah Coulson Profile
Rebekah Coulson answered
This is a difficult question to answer largely because it depends on where you live, as care giver benefits are decided by state government. It also depends on what disability your husband suffers from as well, as that information is always used in determining his eligibility for disability pay and thus your eligibility to receive pay for taking care of him. Truthfully, it can be very difficult to receive money to care for an ailing family member. The internet is rife with stories of individuals and families who have tried to claim government assistance but were ultimately unsuccessful.

People who have successfully applied for such benefit programs aren't exactly boasting about the generosity of these payments either. Recipients receive limited funds that are poorly able to sustain comfortable household finances. Some people equate their value to minimum wage.

If your disabled husband is a Medicaid recipient however, then it is possible for you to seek payment from your state through its Medicaid program. This route will require you to receive certification in home care provision, which means that you'll have to take classes at your local adult education centre or community college. Of course these courses will cost some money, and you will have to make sure that the program you're enrolled in meets state and Medicaid standards. The last thing you want to do is devote time and money to earning a certificate that will not suit your purpose.

For this reason, you should do your research on Medicaid certification in your state. The internet is a good place to start, but you will have to be more specific in future enquiries. Definitely specify your state and consider running a few searches on people who have successfully applied for care giver benefits while taking care of people who suffer from similar disabilities to your husband's. Where there's a will, there might be a way but it could be difficult to find, and you will have to figure out whether it's worth it to you or not.
Anonymous Profile
Anonymous answered
I live in AR is there a program that will pay a wife to take care of husband that is totally disabled
Anonymous Profile
Anonymous answered
If you are in UK and care for him more than 35 hours a week you should qualify.  Note if you are claiming a pension you will not get this and there is an earnings limit.
Anonymous Profile
Anonymous answered
We have a 32 yr, old son with Muscular Dystrophy and my husband has cancer My son is on disability and so is my husband. Can I get paid to take care of them??

Answer Question