Body language can be very advantageous when communicating with someone, and is now widely regarded as an important tool in the business world. However if you don't know how to use it properly, it is not always a good thing.
I have made a list of possible advantages and disadvantages of body language in communication.
- Simple gestures can mean a lot, and they are a good way to convey emotions without much effort. For example if you are angry you cross your arms, or if you are happy you can let your arms free.
- Body language can be a positive attribute in the business world and you can use hand movements to aid explanations and allow your meaning to be clear.
- In, for example, and interview setting, your body language can show a lot about you. If you sit up straight with a smile you will appear more confident to potential employees.
- Body language can give you away and sometimes you will not be able to help it. If you don't know how to control your body language you can be giving off negative signals.
- What you do with your body may show that you are lying.
- In an interview setting if you don't make eye contact with the employee and move around a lot, this can lead to not getting the job.